What is Pigmentation?
- Skin is made up of 2 layers- the upper ‘epidermis’ and the lower ‘dermis’.
- In the lower most part of epidermis are present melanocytes, the cells that produce pigment called Melanin.
- Color of skin depends on amount of Melanin in the skin layers. Other factors include blood supply and thickness of skin.
- Darkening of an area of skin caused by increased melanin production is known as Hyperpigmentation.
- Epidermal pigmentary disorders respond well to treatment. While the dermal pigmentation may take long time to lighten.
Causes of Pigmentation/Hyperpigmentation
- Melasma/ Chloasma
- ,Eye Dark circles (Peri-orbital Melanosis)
- Hyperpigmentation due to sunexposure
- Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation
- Diseases- Addison’s disease, Cushing’s disease, Acanthosis nigricans
- Linea nigra- dark line found on abdomen during pregnancy
- Smoker’s melanosis- darkening of oral mucosa due to tobacco smoking