What is Laser Hair Removal?
- It is a laser treatment that gives you freedom from unwanted hair and other hair removal methods like Electrolysis, waxing and epilation creams.
- There is reduction in density and thickness of the hair in the treated area.
- Both men and women can go under laser for hair removal.
- An ideal candidate would be someone with thick dark hair and light complexion. People with very light color hair benefit less or little from permanent hair removal by laser.
- Effective treatment for ingrown hair.
How does Laser Hair Removal work?
Laser light targets the pigment in the hair follicle to produce heat that destroys the hair without effecting the surrounding skin. The hair that grows following the successive treatments are lighter in color and thinner.
Is Laser for Hair Removal permanent?
There many methods of hair removal for unwanted hair, none are permanent but laser hair removal is the most effective treatment available. Laser hair removal is the only clinically proven treatment for removal of unwanted facial and body hair quickly and effectively with long-lasting results.
What is Electrolysis?
It is one of the oldest methods of hair removal. Electrolysis uses needle shaped electrode, which is inserted in the skin along the hair follicle to destroy the hair.
What areas can be treated with Laser for hair removal?
All parts of the body can be treated for permanent laser hair reduction but the most common areas are
- Face including upper lip, chin, neck
- Legs and Bikini Line
- Arms and Underarms
- Back and Abdomen
- Chest, Nipples
Do men have Laser Hair Removal?
Treatment is very popular in men particularly on the back, shoulders, chest, neck and around the beard.
Does hair removal by laser hurt?
Patient does feel slight warmth, pinching or stinging sensation. Most people find laser for hair removal to be mild and tolerable.
How many treatments are needed?
- Area treated- Facial hair are difficult to treat as they are hormone dependent. More sessions are needed, spaced one month part.
- Hair thickness
- Underlying medical disorder- hormonal imbalance
Generally 6 to 8 sessions are required followed by maintenance. Maintenance sessions can be 2 to 3 in an year.
Why do I need multiple laser treatment?
- All our body hair are present in 3 phases- growing phase, regression phase and resting phase.
- Laser treatment only affects the hair in the active growth phase, which have mature pigment in the hair follicle, which is the target of laser.
- Since all other hair will enter the growth phase at different times, additional treatments will be necessary to reduce all the hair follicles in the treatment area.
What are the Precautions with Laser Hair Removal?
- No waxing or plucking can be done before the treatment, because hair must be present in the follicle for laser to work .
- Unwanted hair can be shaved or cut.
- Post laser treatment sunscreen should be used.
- Keep a gap from other salon activities.
Is Laser Hair Removal safe?
Yes it is safe. Immediately after the laser treatment there may be some redness and/or mild swelling, that usually disappears before the patient leaves the clinic.