What is Rosacea?
- Rosacea or acne rosacea is a chronic skin disease characterised by redness and pimple-like skin lesions over face.
- Rosacea effects central face- cheeks, nose and forehead.
- It causes Blushing of face, spider-like blood vessels on the face and burning or stinging feeling.
Trigger factors for Acne Rosacea
- Exposure to temperature extremes
- Strenuous exercise
- Sun exposure
- Stress, anxiety
- Cold wind
- Moving to warm environment from cold one as heated shops and offices in winters
- Food and drinks
- Hot Tea and Coffee- Caffeine rich
- Spicy food
- Red wine, Beer, Yogurt- Histamine rich
Precautions for Rosacea
- Avoid sun exposure
- Use broad spectrum sunscreen
- Avoid activity in hot weather
- Avoid spicy foods, alcohol, and hot beverages
- Reduce stress
Facts about Rosacea
- Not contagious
- Chronic skin disease
- Rosacea cannot be cured, but it may be controlled with treatment.
When to see dermatologist of Rosacea/ Facial Redness?
Over-the-counter skin care products contain acids, alcohol and other irritants- that may worsen Rosacea.
If you feel persistent redness of your face, see your dermatologist for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Treatment of Rosacea
Targets to reduce facial redness, skin lesions and symptoms like itching and burning.
- Avoid trigger factors
- Use Sunscreen
- Oral- Tetracycline antibiotics, Retinoids
- Topical- creams containig Azelaic acid and Metronidazole
- Chemical peel
- Laser therapy
IPL ( Intense Pulsed Light) Photofacial/ Photorejuvenation
Reduces facial redness